Restored external sandstone walls complete the refurbishment of Monaghan Courthouse. The 20th-century extensions at the front of the building have been removed and the façade has been restored to its original state of 1829, which was Joseph Welland’s design. Information from the Geological Survey of Ireland was used to source sandstone from Rossmore Quarry, Co Fermanagh, for repairs. This quarry lies on the same bed as the original supply but is now disused.
Inside, limestone and oak panelling line the walls of an existing structure which was destroyed by arson in 1981. A new layout scheme separates the areas for defendants, judges, juries, the public and staff. Restored external sandstone walls complete the refurbishment of Monaghan Courthouse. A new lift and staircases provide separate access for building users and a lift has been inserted in a space previously occupied by a staircase. These elements allow for separate access routes through the building and maintain the integrity of the original plan layout.
- OPW Architectural Services - Seán Moylan, Siobhán McCafferty, Marta Deka and Kaja Sentycz
- Brian Allen, Gerard Gleeson and Audrey Jennings
- Malone O'Regan
- Curley Smith Design
- Fire Element Engineers
- John Sisk & Son Ltd.