State Art Collection
The OPW is responsible for the management of the State Art Collection which comprises of c.16,000 works. These works include both historical and contemporary paintings, original prints, sculpture, fine-art and decorative objects, music, and poetry.
The Collection is on permanent display in public buildings and heritage properties and these locations include many Government offices, parks, Áras an Uachtaráin, Dublin Castle, Royal Hospital Kilmainham, Farmleigh, Leinster House, Government Buildings, Garda stations, the Four Courts and certain other Court facilities.
It is the largest dispersed collection in the State and a public-facing collection with over 90% of art works on display. It fulfills its role by showcasing the creativity of artists living and working in Ireland to the many publics who visit and work in State properties. It also facilitates access through exhibitions and lending works to external borrowers (museums, galleries and artists), to reach wider audiences.
Art Management Office
52 St. Stephen's Green
Telephone: (01) 647 6076/77 or (01) 647 6812
Annual Touring Exhibitions
The OPW endeavours to increase public awareness and access to State art through its annual touring exhibitions and catalogues.
The touring exhibitions have been held annually by the OPW since 1991 and have comprised various sections of art works taken from the State's collection based on particular themes each year e.g. portraits, prints, past masters, etc. The exhibition provides an opportunity for the public to view art works, which are normally installed in public buildings. Over the years, the exhibition has evolved into a joint North / South cultural project in partnership with the Department of Finance and Personnel (DFP) in Northern Ireland. It has toured extensively throughout the country as well as abroad. A catalogue illustrating the art works accompanies the exhibition and copies for each exhibition are available from the Art Management Office.
- Fine Art Guidelines - Art Management Handbook
- Public Art Percent for Art Scheme
- Art in State Buildings 1995 - 2005
The following exhibitions were organised in partnership with the Northern Irish Civil Service art collection
- 2019 - Life in Still Life (English) (Hardcopy catalogues in Irish and English are available from the Art Management Office, email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 01 647 6812)
- 2018 - Gan Teideal [tírdhreach] (Irish) / Untitled [landscape] (English)
- 2017 - An Spás Eadrainn (Irish) / The Space Between (English)
- 2016 - I A W A T S T (Irish) / I A W A T S T (English)
- 2015 - Construct
- 2014 - Unfold
- 2013 - Encounters
- 2012 - Elements
- Bubble Beard by Bennie Reilly
- Liffey Swim by Fergal McCarthy
- Twilight by Irene Barry